08 July, 2014

Onza Tires and Staff Shirts


We love testing new stuff, even if we don't make it. These tires from Onza, a small Swiss company, are a good example. We found them at an industry show and immediately wanted to try them. I mean they feature Swiss design, soft and supple sidewalls, grippy rubber, folding bead, and are pretty light weight: who wouldn't want to take them for a few test rides. We were not disappointed; they ride just as well as we had hoped, perhaps better. With great cornering, good grip on soft surfaces, and a very confident feel, they are a wonderful tire for those who ride primarily off-pavement.

Onza tires are not cheap, but we think they are worth the price, so we decided to stock a couple of sizes of our favorite model, the Canis.  We have them in 26" x 2.25" and 29" (700c) x 2.25" sizes. They work very well on the Camargue.



This is the shirt we had made for our staff to wear at shows and other events. We have a limited number of extras, in case you want one. They are made of soft organic cotton and screen printed at a local shop.

7 comments:

Jane Sparrow said...

Those sidewalls don't appear so subtle to me...

VeloOrange said...

Everybody is an editor, sheesh ;<) Thanks; fixed.

Anonymous said...

Great looking tires, with a tread pattern similar to the Maxxis Ardent. Now, can we see a Camargue built up like it should be, with drop bars and knobbies, emphasizing a fast and assured ride off-pavement.

Aaron said...

Nick, I'll be building up a 62 frame this weekend in the manner you're asking for - dirt drops, 2x10 drivetrain, 2.2 Panaracer Drivers on Chukker rims. For now it'll just be for fun day rides, but ultimately I plan to take it out for overnighters and longer trips that would be too gnarly for my Campeur.

Frame should be arriving today or tomorrow, the rest of the build is sitting on my bench just waiting for it!

Will be sending in some photos as soon as it looks presentable.

Cheers and also thanks for writing an excellent blog, I think I discovered it while looking for info about the Campeur (or was it that I learned of the Campeur through your blog? unsure...), and have been hooked since.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Aaron, I look forward to seeing your Camargue. If I was in charge, I'd build one with lightweight rims and 2.2" tires, a wide-range double, and a comfortable all-day drop bar position (Grande Cru Rando Bar) . Aside. I'd get the hell out of town and ride the rubber off of it. I think the Camargue is an exciting concept, capable and comfortable off-pavement, or just off the beaten path. I hope to see you build soon!

Aaron said...

Thanks Nick. Have to say your ideas and experiences have been really inspiring for me.

I originally planned to use a lighter rim like a Mavic A119 or A719, though the Chukker is not much heavier (about 75-100g more), but it is a bit wider and I found a very good deal on a set laced to the latest Deore hubs. They look to be really beefy, and I weigh in at 165 so I think I can ride them pretty hard with no worries.

Bars will be the On-One Midge, I totally love those for the control and leverage they offer, and the wrist clearance for climbing out of the saddle while in the drops.

Frame just showed up this morning, gonna install the headset and spray some T9 in there tonight. I think the paint color is more awesome in person than most photos I've seen can convey. It'll look great with some dirt all up on it.

Eric Daume said...

I don't know, if I buy an Onza tire, I want it to be a Porcupine.